Friday, August 10, 2007

Questions

My yarn is on it's way from Knit Picks - Wool of the Andes in Amethyst Heather and I'm pretty excited to get it and start swatching.

I have two questions for those that are going to be knitting this.

The way the sweater is constructed, is anyone going to be knitting in the round? I'm really thinking that it would be easier to do this way, rather than knit the pieces separately and then join for the yoke. It would be easy enough to convert.

My second question is, will anyone be starting the yoke patterning down further? I'm a little on the busty side and a line right across isn't exactly ideal for me. Do you think it would be possible to start it sooner? I figure that the easiest way to do this would be to knit it in the round so I know when to start it. Thoughts?

Thanks!
MsLindz

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I believe I will also be knitting the body in the round and am busty, but hadn't thought about changing the cable placement...I will have to look more closely at the pattern....

Knittymuggins said...

I will most likely be knitting this in the round as well, and hope to post some info about that soon. I hadn't really thought about changing the cable placement, but I don't imagine it would be too difficult (though I haven't checked the pattern closely for this yet). Perhaps some others will want to give this a shot as well and you can work it out together :)

Pam said...

I was hoping to change that cable as well. I'v frogged the back of mine that I worked up previously and will also be working in the round now. I am hoping to move a few rows of that cable as not to have it fall across the bust...perhaps a few rows higher. I think it will work. BTW, love that Amethyst heather colour!

Nicole said...

I saw the closeup of the sweater and I see what you mean. I think if you measured the area of the cable pattern against your chest, it will be easier to determine how many extra rows you'll need.

RosemaryNCurry said...

If you want to change the cable placement, the critical measurement is the depth measured from the bottom of the armholes. According to the pattern, it is about 1.25". For the smallest size, that will be about 14.25" from the bottom edge. So if you want to start lower, make it shorter. Remember to adjust your inc and dec rows placement so that when you get to your beg of chart row, you'll have the right # of stitches.
It will be harder to raise it because you'll need to pay attention to armhole shaping.